The OAD will be organizing a webinar on its 2023 call for proposals on Monday, May 15 at 1100 UTC. The session is targeted at anyone interested in applying for the annual call for proposals. Participants will given a brief introduction to astronomy-for-development and provided information on the call. Some of the past successful applicants will share their experience of preparing an OAD proposal. We will also conduct a short demo on using chatGPT to improve a proposal.
Any questions submitted at the time of webinar registration will be answered during the session.
2023 Call for Proposals
Monday, May 15, 1100 UTC
Information on the call
Demo: chatGPT to improve proposal
Hear from past projects
IAU OAD call for proposals 2023_webinar.pdf
OAD call for proposals webinar_OruMbya project.pdf
OAD call for proposals webinar_Langkawi astrotourism project.pdf
Answers to some of the questions asked in the past
- What is the maximum amount one can apply for?
There is no maximum amount set by the OAD. In the past, we have provided grants from 600 Euro up to 13000 Euro. The total amount for the call is 120,000 Euro which is normally divided between 10 to 15 projects.
- Do you fund potentially commercialisable initiatives/tools?
The OAD is a non-profit but there are no restrictions against products or initiatives that have potential to be commercialized. In fact, such projects can be seen positively since they will have their own funds to continue the work in the future.
- What is the maximum amount for the purchase of scientific equipment? If I need $20,000 for equipment and mobility.
There is no policy excluding the use of OAD grants for equipment purchase. But the OAD is not meant to fund scientific research and infrastructure. It must be shown clearly how this purchase will directly improve societal conditions in the short-and-medium-term. The amount of $20,000 is larger than the maximum we have funded previously (see answer to Q1).
- Does the grant fund equipment purchase?
See answer to Q3
- Which kind of physics project proposals are mostly likely to be funded?
The OAD encourages new, exciting, and innovative ideas. Proposals are evaluated according to the selection criteria listed on the website. So it is difficult to pinpoint a type of proposal likely to be funded. Please review the call page and our previously funded projects.
- For a multiple year project, what’s the maximum available fund?
Please see the answer to Q1. There is no separate maximum for multi-year projects. Multi-year projects selected will be funded on an annual basis subject to a performance review by the OAD.
- Do you provide any funding related to living expenses?
The OAD grants are typically small to medium (few thousand Euro). So any living expenses will leave little for other project expenses and thus may not be seen favorably by the review panel.
- What kind of items can be funded through our projects?
No policy or limitations on what can be funded. The reviewers will evaluate the potential impact of your proposal and the effectiveness of your plan and budget.
- Can individuals propose a project, unrelated to a business or school?
Yes, anyone can propose a project, even if you do not have an affiliation with a school or other institution.
- Can one or more persons apply for it from same country and workplace?
Yes, more than one person from the same workplace or institution can apply for the call.
- Can we add one or more collaborators to implement the project?
Yes, we encourage teams rather than an individual. Please ensure that your team has the right expertise and experience to carry out the work proposed.
- Can one apply even when they have a degree in physics with meteorology ?
Yes, you do not need an astronomy background to apply but the project must use some aspect of astronomy to drive sustainable development.
- How can astronomy be used for development?
Please see examples of previous projects.
- Can we introduce CITIZEN SCIENCE LAB concept in schools or colleges where students and teachers can participate in citizen science?
Proposals are welcome as long as you can provide a strong motivation for development.