ASTROPEST is based on the 21st-century model of teaching and learning using STREAM concepts, encouraging high quality, inclusive, equitable education, and promoting opportunities for lifelong learning for pre-school teachers. The project objectives were to develop an astronomy teaching and learning module for preschool teachers in Malaysia, apply the modules and assess the level of awareness of the target group regarding the importance of astronomy. Preschool teachers received training in fundamentals of astronomy, hands-on activities, such as how to build a sundial with a practical work for a 2 days training for a target of 50 participants. Through this program, we provided exposure and awareness to the target groups about the relevance of astronomy in everyday life, for example as daily movement of the sun can provide us with the apparent time of the sun. This program involved a variety of face-to-face activities that provided and displayed interesting teaching and learning opportunities. The program consisted of four activities namely knowledge sharing, demonstration, hands-on and stargazing. The activities conducted in this program targeted 15 preschool teachers, 40 preschool students, and 40 participants from the local community.
- On June 26, 2022, a 5-hour event called Let’s Explore the Space was conducted and given to preschoolers at Tabika KEMAS Indah Pintar in Taman Sri Pulai.
- First workshop on developing the Astronomy module for Preschool Teachers among committee members.
- Second workshop on developing the Astronomy module for Preschool Teachers among committee members has been organize at UTM Scholar’s Inn on 04 – 05 October 2022 about 2 days duration.
- Knowledge Transfer of Astronomy Teaching and Learning Module for Pre School-Teachers has been conducted at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. The workshop was done on 02 – 03 December 2022 with 2 days activities. 15 participants have participated and contribute idea to this workshop.
- Astronomy Xplorace has been organized at primary school namely Sekolah Rendah Mutiara Rini 1. The activity was carried out on 02 January 2023 approximately 5 hours of activities. This activity has attracted 50 participants.
- Beyond the Sky has been organized at preschool namely Tadika Albaghdadi Playtime Centre, Pulai Mutiara. The activity was carried out on 25 January 2023 approximately 5 hours of activities. This activity has attracted 54 participants.
- Astrorace has been organized at secondary school namely Sekolah Menangah Kebangsaan (Agama) Johor Bahru. The activity was carried out on 02 February 2023 approximately 5 hours of activities. This activity has attracted 45 participants.
- Preschools teachers awareness, understanding and readiness to teach astronomy to the preschool children has been increased after the workshop training.
- Teachers feel competent in the content of this project and use of the astronomical resources. This project has improved teaching techniques on the astronomy knowledge.