Regional Offices Activities; January-March 2017
- An activity in the Andean region to measure the local latitude on March 20. This activity was performed by instructors in their schools together with their students.
- The third “Astronomy en los Andes” workshop will be held in Peru, in December 2017. This workshop focuses on gathering all the Andean ROAD institutions to share results and plan future actions.
- The 2nd Arab Winter School on Astrophysics (AWSA II) was announced. It will be organized in Amman between 19-25 November 2017
- The Jordanian Physics Olympiad will be organized in early November 2017
- The fourth Middle East and African IAU Regional meeting (MEARIM), is jointly hosted by Entoto Observatory & Research Center(EORC) and East African Regional Office of Astronomy for Development (ROAD-IAU) and will be conducted from 22-25 May 2017 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with the theme of “Exploring our Universe for the benefit of Humankind” .
- “Bringing Astronomy to the Village”: exposing school children in the countryside of southern and western China to the joys of astronomy [main focus on ethnic minorities]. — visits to three villages in Yunnan and one in Guizhou.
- The 3rd ASEAN Astronomy Camp (ACC) : It was held in Chiang Mai, Thailand during 24-27 January 2017. 37 high-school students and 9 teachers from a wide range of schools across Southeast Asia attended this camp.
- The 2nd NARIT International Astronomical Training Workshop (NIATW) under the theme “Observations and Data Handling Using Modern Instruments” has been organised in Chiang Mai from 13-18 March 2017. The participants learn how to prepare an observing run, how to use the instruments and how to analyze the data.
- The 2nd Joint Committee Meeting on Science, Technology and Innovation between Thailand and Lao PDR : Led by the Minister of Science and Technology of both country, the meeting was held in Chiang Rai province which is the border line between Thailand and Lao PDR. The National Science Museum Thailand and NARIT will co-work to set up a public outreach activities for young students in Lao PDR from 6-8 April 2017.
- AN INTRODUCTION TO FIELD TECHNIQUES IN ETHNOASTRONOMY Workshop
15 – 19 May, 2017, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- NARIT-Institut d’Optique Graduate School Optical Design Summer School 2017
31 July – 5 August 2017, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Sona Farmanyan was awarded Armenian National Science and Educational Fund (ANSEF) grant on Astronomy in Culture 2017
- Areg Mickaelian visited Versoix (near Geneva, Switzerland) to participate in EAS Affiliated Societies meeting and to represent Armenian Astronomical Society, some discussion on possible creation of the European ROAD was held as well
- “My Universe” contest proposal approved for July 18-20, 2017 to be held Byurakan
- 4th Byurakan Science Camp (4BSC) proposal approved for Aug 21-27, 2017 to be held Byurakan
- SWCA ROAD, together with the Armenian Astronomical Society (ArAS), Byurakan Astrophysical Observatory (BAO) and the Armenian Ministry of Culture has won a big project to organize UNESCO Conference on 13-17 November 2017 in Armenia on “Astronomical Heritage of the Middle East”. Among the topics there are Archaeoastronomy, Ethnoastronomy, Astronomy in Culture, Astronomy along the Silk Road, Astronomical Education, Astro Tourism, Astro Journalism, etc.
- To host a visiting expert from the UK, Dr. Sohan Jheeta in both Zambia and Malawi this coming April. He will give talks at universities and schools
- In August 2017, the OAD supported TF1 project, Big Data in Astronomy: A potential tool for Social Innovation BARISTA workshop, will be run in Mauritius
- Madagascar Astronomy Python Workshop, TF1 OAD funded project will be held at the University of Antananarivo in mid-year 2017.
- Commemorate World Space Week from 4-10 October 2017 and Africa Code Week in October.
- In January, PLOAD opened the online course “Origens da vida no contexto cósmico” (origins of life in the cosmic context) promoted by University of S. Paulo in Portuguese language
- On February 26th, an event to observe partial eclipse was conducted in S. Tome and Principe
- The “III Girls’ Day” took place 10th March at the Museum of Astronomy and Related Sciences (MAST) to celebrate International Women’s Day (with practical science workshops and scientists talking to teenagers about the status of women in scientific careers)
- PLOAD will have a communication at the “Congresso Internacional de Educação Ambiental” (International Congress on Environmental Education) that will take place at Principe in July 2017
- West African International Summer School for Young Astronomers; Ghana – July 23-August 6, 2017
- February 26, 2017 partial eclipse was observed in Nigeria and Gabon
- Workshop for Primary and Secondary School Science Teachers will be held in Nigeria in late April to early May, 2017