The OAD Steering Committee exercises general oversight of the activities of the OAD and its staff. It comprises 3 members nominated by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and 3 members nominated by the National Research Foundation (NRF). The Chair of the OAD Steering Committee shall alternate between a nominee of the IAU and a nominee of NRF.
The current OAD steering committee consists of:
- Claude Carignan (nominated by NRF)
- Megan Donahue (nominated by IAU)
- George Miley (nominated by IAU)
- Khotso Mokhele (Chair – nominated by NRF)
- Kazuhiro Sekiguchi (nominated by IAU)
- Patricia Whitelock (nominated by NRF)
All major decisions involving IAU finances or the IAU endorsement are taken by the Extended Development Oversight Committee (EDOC) which comprises the OAD Steering Committee plus the IAU President, General Secretary and President of Division C (Education, Outreach and Heritage). Such decisions include appointment of Task Force members, selection of Regional Nodes and Language Expertise Centres and final approval of OAD-funded projects.
- Norio Kaifu (IAU President)
- Thierry Montmerle (IAU General-Secretary)
- Mary Kay Hemenway (IAU Division C President)