Special call for proposals:
The Office of Astronomy for Development (OAD) and the International Virtual Observatory Alliance (IVOA) have a partnership that aims to bring together the complementary resources and expertise of these institutions to advance the application of astronomical data and/or technology use in different areas of society, most notably for education, development and public outreach. To this end, we will offer a special grant to support the development of Virtual Observatory (VO) tools in an undergraduate teaching context.
Deliverables: The successful grantholder will deliver on the following:
- A desktop survey of learning outcomes for undergraduate astronomy/physics curricula in South Africa and Africa
- Identify where existing VO tutorials and/or resources map onto learning outcomes in those curricula.
- Write up minimum requirements for running those tutorials, e.g. computing, internet speed, lab hours required.
- Work with the relevant stakeholders to make South African data available in VO tools, and create (or adapt existing) VO tutorials using SA data.
- Present those tutorials to course convenors in one-on-one sessions.
Total funding offered: up to ZAR 70,000
Application: Proposals should not exceed 2 pages (minimum font size 11) and include the following:
- Name and contact details of proposer
- Team members’ profiles (who will be involved and what are their roles/skills/experience)
- Plans to deliver on the above requirements
- Detailed timelines and milestones
- Detailed Budget (for professional costs, rates and time estimates should be provided)
- Any additional motivation
Deadline: Proposals should be sent as a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. The call will remain open until a suitable proposal is identified.
Selection: A selection panel, comprising representatives from the OAD and the SAAO VO team will assess the proposals based on the following criteria:
- Capability of project leader and team (score of 10)
- Feasibility of project plan (score out of 10, based on plans and timelines)
- Cost effectiveness (score out of 10, based on budget and timelines)
- Additional considerations (score out of 5, based on motivation)
Download a pdf version of this call.