- Colombia will host the 2018 International School for Young Astronomers (ISYA). Jaime Forero (OAD coordinator) will present the basics of python and machine learning using the tools developed by the OAD
- “Aula Bajo las Estrellas“, an initiative to gather primary and secondary educations instructors who use astronomy in their classroom, was held in October 2017. The next iteration of this meeting is planned for 2018 in Peru.
- EA ROAD coorganized and conducted the AstroBus Ethiopia OAD funded project. It was conducted from 20 -30 October 2017. The AstroBus has reached 10 cities from three regions of Ethiopia – Amhara, Oromia and Southern region including Addis Ababa.
- The ‘Space Awareness workshop’ on space education and outreach was held on 07 October 2017, at UNECA, Addis Ababa, coorganized with OAD and EU Space Awareness
- A public talk “Using Astronomy and Space Science as Tools for Development” at the annual meeting of the Chinese Amateur Astronomy meeting, 21-23 October 2017l, Lijiang, China
- Training week (30 November – 4 December) at China West Normal University (CWNU) in Sichuan, which hosts a recently opened astronomy department that specializes in astronomy education and astronomy outreach
- Interactive seminar “Teaching astronomy in a rapidly changing society”, on 18 December 2017 at Shanghai Institute of Technology, Shanghai
- “Starry Nights in Cape Verde – Astronomy reaches out West African Islands” project will undertake face to face teacher training on Astronomy and outreach actions in schools, at the University and even for general public in Cape Verde in 2018.
- Astronomia para todos (Astronomy for all) conferences in São Paulo University, Brazil
Dark Sky Rangers Drawing and Video contests for 2018 are now open. Contact person – Nelson Correia email@example.com
South East Asia
- 9th Southeast Asia Astronomy Network Meeting (SEAAN) was held at Mandalay University, Myanmar from 29-30 Nov 2017 with 100 participants
- SEAAN meeting was accompanied by “You are Galileo Workshop” organised by OAO, OAD, SEA-ROAD, NARIT and NAOJ at Mandalay University, Myanmar, 1-2 Dec 2017
- Introduction to Astronomy Workshop was organised by SEA-ROAD and NARIT from1-2 Dec 2017
South West and Central Asia
- A UNESCO regional conference on the “Astronomical Heritage of the Middle East” was held on 13-17 Nov 2017 in Yerevan, Armenia. Symposium was organized in the frame of AAC project (Archaeoastronomy and Astronomy in Culture)
- Turkey joined the SWCA Regional Office which now has 6 countries as members
- 2017 AstroLab worshop was organized from 6th November to 11th November 2017 at the National University of Science and Technology in Bulawayo.
- West African International Summer School for Young Astronomers (WAISSYA) was held from 31st July – 06 August 2017 in Accra, Ghana.
- An intensive 1-week python computing workshop was organized by NASRDA-Centre for Basic Space Science (CBSS), Nsukka in November, 2017 ‘Python – The present and the future of computing in science, astrophysics, and big data systems’.
- 7th National conference of the Astronomical society of Nigeria was held from 28th November to 1st December 2017 with the theme ‘Astronomy and Space science development in Nigeria’.