Skip to content
Regional Offices Activities: APR- JUN 2021
- The Office proposes to bring together South American countries which speak the Spanish language rather than limit to a geographical region
- The office organized, with the Jordanian Astronomical Society (JAS), the Arab Union for Astronomy and Space Science (AUASS) and some other Jordanian & Arab institutions, several public lectures, seminars, and courses via Zoom
- EA-ROAD participated on Africa-European Science and innovation summit. Particularly on 18 June, EA-ROAD was among the panel discussants on AERAP session of Astronomy – a Unique Engine for Education and Development
- On 25 May, EA-ROAD along with AfAS outreach committee was able to organize African Day celebration by doing Eratosthenes Experiment to measure the size of the Earth. Students from Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Kenya were able to participate on the experiment.
- EA-ROAD along with Open University of Tanzania (OUT) and University of Dodoma (UDOM) successfully conducted the 6th East Africa Astronomical Society workshop (EAASW) virtually in May 2021.
- EA-ROAD along with Ethiopian Space Science and Technology Institute (ESSTI) in collaboration with Astrobus-Ethiopia conducted educational outreach program trip to Arba Minch, Konso and Jinka in lower Omo valley of southern Ethiopia.
- Public outreach in Guangzhou: visit to high schools and give a series of lectures
- The H2020 project SKIES has started and the main management infrastructure and processes are in place and the content creation process of training modules has started.prepared a session during the EU-Africa Summit organised by AERAP, focusing on astronomy for development.
- Chiara Moenter, an intern at the European Regional Office, finished her project on investigating the links between astronomy projects and their contributions to the SDG indicators, and presented this work at the CAP conference.
- The NA-ROAD has been working on the development of a 5-year Strategic Plan. The 16-member Strategic Planning Committee is made up of individuals from the United States, Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean Region, and one person from Europe. The Strategic Planning Committee is using the NA-ROAD needs Assessment results to inform the process.
- The NA-ROAD is looking to organize an advisory board that will work close with the NA-ROAD Governing Council. The advisory board will include diverse representation across North American regions, keeping the NA-ROAD aware of current needs and opportunities, and assisting with implement of the strategic plan.
- SEA-ROAD hosted the “School in Radio Astronomy and Technology with the 13th East-Asian VLBI Workshop (EAVW)” 28 Feb – 5 Mar 2021 (Onsite and Online) for 260 international participants including students, researchers, and experts in Radio Astronomy.
- The office contributed to the Byurakan Astrophysical Observatory 75th anniversary works – BAO-75 book, BAO-75 Expo, 7th Byurakan Science Camp (7BSC), International Symposium
- Approval of a proposal submitted under the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) Education & Outreach Grants
- Nchimunya Mwiinga, the country coordinator for Zambia, passed away due to COVID-19 related health condition.
- The office organized an online AstroLab session which targeted the tutors from Mulungushi University and another targeted tutors from University of Fort Hare.