Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), India is one of the leading research institutes in astronomy/astrophysics globally. IUCAA also has a well renowed program of public outreach and education (SciPop). Since our establishment, OAD and IUCAA have enjoyed close ties. This partnership paves way for specific collaborations in capacity development along education, development and outreach.
Royal Astronomical Society (RAS), UK encourages and promotes the study of astronomy, solar-system science, geophysics and closely related branches of science. The RAS and OAD have partnered to establish or nurture research, educational and/or development related collaborations between the UK and countries where astronomy research is not well established.
Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC) in support of the United Nations Programme on Space Applications is a global non-governmental, non-profit (US 501(c)3) organisation and network which aims to represent university students and young space professionals ages 18-35 to the United Nations, space agencies, industry, and academia. Both OAD and SGAC have common goals in strengthening global networks in space and astronomy and developing capacity in STEM fields.
Development of Africa through Radio Astronomy (DARA) is a joint UK — South Africa Newton funded project that uses radio astronomy training to develop high level technical skills in young graduates. The partnership is an implementation of the astronomy-for-development concept and involves collaboration at both strategy and project evaluation levels. In 2018, DARA funded six astronomy for development projects and these were carried out by DARA participants.
The OAD is always open to partnerships with other organisations wishing to be proactive in the area of science for development. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.If your organisation wishes to partner with the OAD, contact us!
- The International Astronomical Union: www.iau.org
- The South African Astronomical Observatory: www.saao.ac.za
- The National Research Foundation: www.nrf.ac.za
- The Department of Science and Technology: www.dst.gov.za
- The International Year of Astronomy: www.astronomy2009.org
- Developing Astronomy Globally Cornerstone Project: www.developingastronomy.org
- IAU Commission 46, Astronomy Education and Development: www.iaucomm46.org
- IAU Commission 55, Communicating Astronomy with the Public: www.communicatingastronomy.org
- IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach www.iau.org/public
- Universe Awareness Programme: www.unawe.org
- Galileo Teacher Training Programme: www.galileoteachers.org